Healthy Chicken Burrito Recipe
Welcome to the Mexican staple: heaven in a tortilla wrap. This healthy chicken burrito recipe will leave your taste buds tingling for more. Whether you’re a burrito lover or a curious newcomer, get ready to discover the art of crafting a mouthwatering masterpiece that combines savoury fillings, warm tortillas, and a burst of delightful flavours.
The beauty of the burrito lies in its versatility. It allows you to customise every bite, catering to your unique preferences and cravings. The possibilities are endless, from tender meats and aromatic spices to fresh vegetables and creamy toppings. Whether you prefer a classic combination or a bold fusion of flavours, this recipe will guide you through the steps to achieve burrito perfection.
The History of the Burrito
A burrito is a popular dish in Mexican cuisine that consists of a tortilla, typically made from wheat flour, wrapped around various fillings. The fillings can include a variety of ingredients such as beans, rice, meat (such as beef, chicken, or pork), cheese, guacamole, and sour cream. The tortilla is folded and rolled to enclose the fillings, creating a handheld delight that can be enjoyed on the go.
The exact origin of the burrito is a topic of debate, but it’s generally agreed upon that it originated in Mexico. The term “burrito” translates to “little donkey” in Spanish, and one theory suggests that the name was derived from wrapping food in a tortilla to resemble a pack carried by donkeys. This portable and convenient method of food preparation was likely favoured by labourers and travellers.
But enough history! Grab your sombrero and prepare to don your apron because things are about to get spicy (unless, of course, you opt to not add spices)! Let’s roll and get ready to feast your way into a state of pure burrito bliss.
- Chicken breast or shredded rotisserie chicken: 250 g
- Flour tortillas (large): 4 tortillas
- Black beans (rinsed and drained): 200 g
- Tomato: 2
- Red onion: 1
- Bell peppers: 2
- Spinach: 200 g
- Baby corn (or sweet corn in a can): 100 g
- Spices and hot sauce: to taste
For the guacamole:
- Ripe avocados: 1
- Diced red onion: 1/2
- Tomato: 1/2
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt and pepper: to taste
How to Make Chicken Burritos:
1.Prepare the guacamole: Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit, and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Mash the avocados with a fork until it’s nice and mushy. Stir in the diced onion and chopped tomatoes, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
2. Prepare thepulled chicken: For this, you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breast. Boil the chicken in hot water for 15 minutes or until almost fully cooked and easily shreddable. Once cooled slightly, shred the chicken with a fork or your fingers.
1.In a large frying pan over a medium heat, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until fragrant. Add shredded chicken and chicken broth, bringing it to the boil.
2.Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with spices and add salsa or tomato paste for extra flavour. If needed, add more broth. Simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed by the chicken, then remove from heat and set aside.
3. Prepare beans: Heat olive oil in a pan over a medium heat.
1.Add diced onion and minced garlic to the pan and sauté until the onion becomes translucent.
2. Drain and rinse the canned beans, then add them to the pan. Sprinkle ground turmeric and paprika powder (if desired) over the beans. Add tomato paste and stir to coat them with the spices.
3. Reduce the heat to low and cook the beans for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mixture becomes dry, add a splash of water or vegetable broth to maintain moisture. Season the bean filling with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Prepare sautéed veggies: Heat olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
1. Add sliced bell pepper, baby corn, and tomato to the pan.
2. Sauté the vegetables until they start to soften.
3. Add spinach leaves and continue cooking until wilted.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then remove from heat and set aside.
5. Warm the flour tortillas in a dry skillet over medium heat for a few seconds on each side, or wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave for 15-20 seconds to make them more pliable.
6. To assemble each burrito, place a tortilla on a clean surface.
1. Spread a spoonful of guacamole onto the tortilla, leaving a border around the edges.
2. Add a layer of black beans.
3. Spoon the shredded chicken over the beans.
4. Top with sauteed veggies.
5. Drizzle some sour cream or cheese over the fillings if desired. Be careful not to overstuff the burrito otherwise it will be difficult to fold.
7. To fold the burrito, fold the bottom part over the fillings, then fold in the sides, then roll it up tightly from the bottom. Repeat the process for the remaining tortillas.
8. If desired, warm the burritos in a frying pan over a medium heat for a few minutes on each side to make them warm and toasty.
9. Serve the pulled chicken burritos with extra guacamole and enjoy!
This version of the pulled chicken burrito recipe focuses on the flavourful combination of shredded chicken, black beans, and delicious guacamole. Feel free to adjust the ingredients and seasonings according to your preferences. Enjoy your tasty burritos!
📖 Substitutions and Variations for the Chicken Burrito Recipe
- Protein Options: Instead of pulled chicken, you can use shredded beef, pork, or any other meat of your choice.
- Tortilla Choice: Feel free to use whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas for a different flavour and texture.
- Bean Options: While black beans are commonly used, you can substitute them with pinto beans, kidney beans, or refried beans, depending on your preference. You can also cook the beans from scratch rather than use beans from a can. Check out our Tavce Gravce recipe (the North Macedonian national dish!) if you want to get creative with your beans.
- Salsa Choices: Include your favourite salsa or other sauce for an extra burst of flavour. Try salsa verde, pico de gallo, or chipotle salsa.
- Spice it Up: Add some heat with sliced jalapeños or sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes for a spicier burrito.
- Toppings: Enhance the presentation and taste by adding sliced avocado, chopped lettuce, or a squeeze of fresh lime juice over the burrito before serving.
- Leftovers: If you have any leftover fillings, or you’ve run out of tortillas, you can convert the ingredients into burrito bowls. It’s essentially all the good stuff from a burrito but without the flour tortilla.
What could I serve with these Chicken Burritos?
- Mexican Rice: Serve your burritos with a side of Mexican brown rice. This classic side dish features rice cooked with tomatoes, onion, garlic, and spices like cumin and chilli powder.
- Refried Beans: A traditional and popular side dish in Mexican cuisine, refried beans pair perfectly with burritos. You can make them from scratch or use canned refried beans for convenience.
- Mexican Street Corn: Elote or Mexican street corn is a fantastic side dish that adds a burst of flavour to your meal. Grilled corn on the cob is slathered with a creamy mixture of mayonnaise, lime juice, cheese, and spices like chilli powder and cayenne pepper.
- Guacamole and Chips: Serve some freshly made guacamole alongside crispy tortilla chips. The creamy and tangy guacamole complements the flavours of the burrito and adds a refreshing element to the meal.
- Mexican Salad: Talking of refreshing, a Mexican-inspired salad with mixed greens, diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, black beans, corn kernels, and a tangy lime vinaigrette goes perfectly with these chicken burritos.
- Salsa and Chips: Offer a variety of salsas, such as salsa verde, salsa roja, along with a basket of tortilla chips. This combination adds an extra layer of spice and texture to your meal.
- Fresh Fruit Salad: Balance the richness of the burritos with a simple and refreshing fruit salad. Combine a variety of diced fresh fruits like watermelon, pineapple, berries, and citrus fruits for a burst of natural sweetness.
Can I freeze chicken burritos?
Yes, you can freeze chicken burritos. Wrap them individually in foil or plastic wrap, place them in airtight container or freezer bags, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the microwave or oven until piping hot before eating.
Tips for a quick chicken burrito recipe:
If you’re looking to make pulled chicken burritos more quickly, here are some tips:
- Use pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken: Save time by using pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken instead of cooking and shredding the chicken yourself. Simply shred the pre-cooked chicken and proceed with assembling the burritos.
- Opt for pre-cooked rice and canned beans: To save time, use pre-cooked rice or heat up pre-packaged microwavable rice. Similarly, canned beans can be used instead of cooking them from scratch. Rinse and drain the canned beans before using.
- Pre-assemble ingredients: Prepare the guacamole, chop the vegetables, and gather all the ingredients in advance to streamline the assembly process.
- Keep the fillings simple: Stick to a few essential fillings to save time. Choose your favourite toppings and condiments, such as shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, and chopped cilantro, for quick assembly.
Enjoy your healthy chicken burritos
These burritos are surprisingly easy to make. You can mould them to fit your tastes and adapt the recipe to your liking. Head over to our Mexican recipe page to get more Mexican inspiration. You can also check out our Mexico destination page if you’re cooking in preparation for your trip!